Linda Mwananchi Leaders Storm Homa Bay Amid Violence Threats and Chaotic Scenes
Aug 16, 2026
Linda Mwananchi leaders on Sunday, August 16, 2026, pushed through a tense and chaotic day in Homa Bay County, making an extensive tour despite threats of violence, attempted disruptions, and clashes along their route.
The convoy—led by Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna, Siaya Governor James Orengo, Embakasi East MP Babu Owino, Vihiga Senator Godfrey Osotsi, Brian Weke, Faith Odhiambo, Senator Richard Onyonka, and Trans Nzoia Governor George Natembeya—faced difficulties entering the county as political tension escalated ahead of the planned rally. The leaders were hosted by Suba South MP Caroli Omondi.
Authorities arrested two youths near Wiobiero High School along the Sori–Rodi Kopany road and recovered five pangas allegedly intended for use in disrupting the rally. Police said the youths had travelled from Ndhiwa and were heading toward Homa Bay Town.
Homa Bay Town MP Peter Kaluma publicly stated that he paid bodaboda riders to block the Linda Mwananchi caravan, claiming the funds were distributed through local riders’ leaders. He warned hotel owners against hosting the movement’s supporters, saying they would face “checks.”
Goons on Saturday night ransacked Homa Bay Tourists Hotel, causing extensive damage. The hotel's owner, Otieno Odongo, said Linda Mwananchi leaders were not booked at the hotel.
Opposition leaders had earlier alleged attempts to intimidate supporters and derail the rally—claims ODM leaders dismissed as political theatrics within a broader regional contest.
Chaotic scenes unfolded in Nyandiwa, Suba South Constituency, where youths attempted to block the leaders from addressing residents in trading centers. Tear gas was lobbed at the convoy in parts of Homa Bay, forcing crowds to scatter as stones and barricades appeared along the road.
Supporters intervened to clear the route, allowing the convoy to proceed. Police officers were deployed along the road as the leaders made their way to Nyandiwa, where the first rally was held.
Residents turned out in large numbers as Sifuna addressed supporters, thanking them for their resilience and reception. The convoy later moved toward Homa Bay Town, where supporters surrounded the vehicles—some climbing onto their roofs—as the procession wound through the streets.
Governor Orengo condemned the disruptions and the police response, saying the movement had been welcomed by residents across the county.
“The people are with us. Every place we’ve passed since we entered Homa Bay, it is one term,” Orengo said, referring to chants of “Wantam.” He added, “This is not Kenya. This is not the Kenya we want… but we shall overcome.”
Natembeya, Osotsi, Kitutu Chache South MP Anthony Kibagendi, and other leaders later gathered at Omondi’s residence as the day’s events continued.
Babu Owino criticized leaders who mobilize youths for violence, urging them instead to address unemployment and other challenges facing young people.